Since 2015, there has been a constant growth in the number of contracts for light delivery vehicles. As we are buying more and more online, and these vehicles are being used to cover what is known as the last mile, they are becoming increasingly important. “Until now, delivery vans have mainly been powered by diesel, but 2019 will mark the switch to electric vehicles”, predicts Steve Somers, sales manager for Van Lease, Athlon's lease programme for delivery vehicles up to 3.5 tons.
Furthermore, electric delivery vans will be at the Brussels Motor Show for the first time this year, the 97th edition. They will be on display in Hall 12. “More and more manufacturers have produced a hybrid or fully electric delivery van. Many businesses and public sector institutions are happy to get involved, because for fleet managers this is good way to make their fleet greener”, says Steve Somers.
“Moreover, delivery companies that take packages to their final destinations in towns and cities benefit enormously from the relatively small electric vehicles. They have a positive impact on both the environment and urban traffic flows. Van Lease wants to be on board with this”.
In addition, the market is characterized by the customer’s need for unburdening. During maintenance, repair or a technical inspection, the delivery van is not on the road and the owner loses revenue. What’s more, the indirect costs associated with looking for a mobility solution are often high. Leasing partners, including Athlon, therefore pay more and more attention to a supporting rental department. Customers with a ‘worry-free package’ can count on a suitable replacement vehicle.
Most Loved Van
In Hall 12, alongside the extra focus on bodywork specialists, convertors and manufacturers, a number of competitions will be taking place. After a successful first edition in 2017, FEBIAC (the Belgian car and bicycle federation) and its members are organising the ‘Most Loved Van’ vote, in conjunction with Transportmedia, a publisher that exclusively focuses on transport, logistics and construction. Visitors can vote for their favourite van. There are also prizes for the ‘Fastest Growing Van’ and the ‘Most Loved Van Solution’. The winners will be announced on 24 January during a B2B event in Hall 12.
The Brussels Motor Show opens on Friday 18 January at 1pm with a preview. From Saturday 19 until Sunday 27 January, the Motor Show is open from 10.30am until 7pm. On Monday 21 and Friday 25 January there are late evening openings, until 10pm. A standard ticket costs €15.
You can find a map and list of exhibitors on the Brussels Motor Show website.
7 reasons for choosing Van Lease
With Van Lease, Athlon offers fleet managers a lease programme for delivery vans up to 3.5 tons. “Van Lease differs from traditional services as we deliver a tailored product to customers”, says sales manager Steve Somers. What does such a total solution include?
- With Van Lease, all services are included: maintenance, tyres, technical checks and an equivalent replacement vehicle. This means that Athlon guarantees your mobility, day in and day out.
- What vehicle you need depends on your daily use. Athlon sits with you and looks at your wishes in terms of comfort, ergonomics, load capacity, use and layout, and gives advice about the most suitable vehicle. Opting for an electric delivery van? Then we check if you also need intelligent charging cables or electricity installations, either at your business premises, or in your employees' homes.
- You can make extra-long use of your delivery van: up to 84 months and 280,000 kilometres per contract.
- For delivery vans, Athlon offers, alongside summer and winter tyres, all-season tyres. The quality is comparable with the summer and winter tyres, but they save you a great deal of time and worry.
- If you choose our ‘worry-free package’, we take care of all operations surrounding the technical checks, maintenance and repairs (e.g. pick-up and drop-off service). If your vehicle has to go in for repair, Athlon provides a suitable replacement vehicle.
- At the end of a contract we apply a damage matrix that is tailored to delivery vans, because these are used much more intensively. Options such as protection panels and wheel arch protectors limit damage to a minimum.
- Athlon has made a number of Lease Deals with suppliers specially for the 97th Brussels Car Show. There are also promotions on delivery vans.